10 Tricks about Needle Felt
Di Anna Esposito
All you need to know to become a needle felted ninja...
To make a good needle felt you need to keep some things in mind. I’ve listed some of the most important ones that you absolutely must know.
1) Create a project of what you want to achieve. A sketch will serve to keep track of everything you need.
2) Choose the right wool. Medium-coarse wool (27-33 mc) is generally used for needle felting. Check the "hairiness", if you want to make a smooth work, you will need short fiber wool. If you want to use wool in tops for your projects, remember to “ruin” it.
3) The basic materials are mat, needles, embroidery and sewing scissors, fine, medium and coarse needles.
4) Protect your work by superimposing a light towel on your mat. Buy steel needles.
5) If you need to make 3D figures, make an underlying layer padded with coarser wool and use good wool only on the last few layers.
6) If your job has holes it is because you used a big needle, smooth the surface by massaging and using an extra-fine needle.
7) To make animals or human figures, first study their anatomy well and learn how to make armor. To make pictorial felt instead, draw and paint.
8) Before attempting large works, learn how to do geometric figures well. (You can watch my video lessons on my YouTube channel) because in making a 3D work it will be easier for you to decompose the figures into geometric solids.
9) If you want to make a piece that lasts a long time, you need to needle until your work has become abundantly felted.
10) When you felt, always keep your wrist soft, you will avoid joint pain and tendonitis.